1. Other than report cards or interim reports, how can I find out how my child is doing?
  2. The ongoing dialog that takes place between parents and students is the best place to start. By talking about school issues (academic and extracurricular) with your child, you can sense how things are going. Discuss assignments, long-term projects, and ask to see some assignments occasionally.If you still have questions, are not able to get enough information from your conversations with your child, or sense that something is wrong, please do not hesitate to contact the teacher or your child’s guidance counselor by phone or email.


  1. How closely should I monitor homework assignments?
  2. Knowing your child's history of completing homework assignments is important. If there has been difficulty previously, closer monitoring may be required. If your child has been responsible and "on top" of homework assignments in the past, it is appropriate to feel that will continue in high school with the need for only occasional monitoring. Again, if you have concerns, contact your child’s guidance counselor or teacher.


  1. Does the school have anyone to talk to about concerns about drug and alcohol use?
  2. We are fortunate to have several resources that can help you with these concerns. Your child's guidance counselor is an important contact person who can help or refer you to an appropriate resource.Counselors know your child and may be aware of academic changes. 

       In addition,  Cindy Romano, a Student Assistance Counselor, is a full-time member of the staff who is trained in working with substance abuse issues and related concerns.  All conversations are strictly confidential with Ms. Romano. Her telephone number is 738-8110, ext. 1205.  We also have school psychologists, George Asfendis (ext. 1125) and Dena Delfino (1190), whose mental health backgrounds and experiences should prove helpful.                                                             



  1. How can I find out more about programs and activities held after school?
  2. We encourage all students to become involved in extracurricular experiences. Daily notices, which list meetings of clubs and other events, are posted everyday on the PMHS web site. The Student/Parent/Teacher Handbook and our web site also identify student activities and interscholastic athletic programs that are available for students. Another good source of information about these programs is the activity advisor or coach. The school office can give you the name of this person. You may also want to talk with your child's guidance counselor about involvement in activities and other special programs.


  1. What should I do if I think my child is not working to the best of his or her ability?
  2. Work with the school staff who will help to identify the issues related to your child's performance.Consider study habits, potential learning issues, motivation, external pressures, and any potentially upsetting issues in the student's life. Consult with your child's guidance counselor.  Ask for assistance, but be patient.  This is often a complex issue that may not be resolved easily.


  1. What is the best way to contact my child's teachers or staff?
  2. By phone or email as noted on the previous page. If you have aproblem, we recommend using the phone or requesting a meeting so that a full discussion of the matter can take place.  If you do not receive a reply within two days, leave a message at the school office for the person to contact you.


  1. What is the role of the guidance counselor in my child's education?
  2. Think of the counselor as a coordinator or ringmaster and resource person. The counselor will monitor academic progress, social growth, and career planning. In addition, the counselor will be an important link to the school and community resources.


  1. To whom should I speak about questions regarding college and SAT tests?
  2. The counselor is the primary resource about college and career planning and can provide expert assistance in this area.Questions about SAT II Subject Tests (formerly known as Achievement Tests) can be directed to subject teachers. This is particularly useful in deciding when the student is properly prepared for the subject matter on the SAT II.


  1. How can I stay informed about the high school?
  2. Read all mailings from PMHS and check the high school website, which posts daily announcements. A bimonthly newsletter from the Office of the Principal is sent to parents. Attend PTA meetings, Open House, and other programs. Make sure you fill in the Emergency Contact form, which will be sent home soon in case we need to contact you.Don't hesitate to call if you have questions.